Common Reasons for Schengen Visa Refusal
1. Criminal Actions
The involvement of an applicant in any criminal circumstances and actions matter greatly to the consular officer in issuing a Schengen visa. A refusal might occur because the applicant may be considered a threat to the internal security of Schengen states.
2. False Travel Document
Any false travel documents if found leads to immediate visa refusal and travel ban in many cases.
3. The insufficient explanation for the Purpose and Circumstances of the planned stay
This is most frequent of refusals. The applicant has, in this case, failed to demonstrate to the embassy the real intention of travel. Some possibilities are:
- Failing to present an employment and professional qualification that matches with the presented financial situation
- Failing to provide documents that support the purpose of travel and stay in the Schengen Area
- Not applying for a visa period matching with the presented travel itinerary and holiday bookings.
4. Damaged Passport
A passport that is not kept in a good condition like detached passport pages damaged cover of the passport, etc. leads to visa refusal.
5. Passport Invalidity
Such cases are:
- Presenting a passport that is valid for less than six (06) months after the return date of Schengen Area.
- Presenting a passport that does not have two blank pages
- Presenting a valid passport that is older than ten (10) years
6. Lack of Proof The Travel Itinerary
An additional reason for Schengen Visa application fail, is lacking to present the proper plan of your travel within the Schengen Area. Such cases include:
- Applying at the wrong Embassy of the Schengen Area (not being able to determine the main destination of your visit to the Schengen Area)
- Not being able to prove to have booked accommodation for each destination and each night to spend in the Schengen Area
- Not being able to provide booked flight ticket for each applicant (when a group of travelers)
- Not being able to provide travel tickets for each destination to be toured in the Schengen Area.
7. Invalid Letter of Reference
Another reason for a refused Schengen Visa application is providing a non-authenticated formal letter of reference. Such cases involve:
- Lacking to offer a formal letter that has an original letterhead with the address and contact details of the company or the author issuing it
- Lacking to present a formal letter issued not later than three (3) last months from the application date
- Missing to have the stamp and signature of the author on the formal letter
8. Insufficient Means of Subsistence
Another reason the embassy or consulate of the Schengen country can refuse a visa is missing or insufficient proof of means of existence for the duration of stay in Schengen Area, or for the return to home country. Such cases might involve:
- Failing to offer financial statements not older than one (1) month from the application date
- Lacking to enjoy a current account statement (presenting credit card statements in its place)
- Missing to possess enough funds in financial statements presented
9. Unacceptable Birth or Marriage Certificate
Failure to offer authenticated birth or marriage certificates leads to refusals. Such cases include:
- Failing to offer a certificate endorsed by official authorities, i.e. Interior Ministry
- Failing to offer a certificate in the English language translated by the authorized translator
- Not being able to offer a certificate showing both parents of the child
- Not being able to offer a document of the legal sole custody order for the child (if a single parent)
10. Invalid Travel Insurance
Inability to present the appropriate travel insurance coverage for the duration of stay in the Schengen Area can result in Schengen visa refusal. Such cases might involve:
- Failing to provide a travel insurance cover in the adequate amount
- The inability to provide a travel insurance whose policy is valid all over the Schengen Area
- The inability to show a travel insurance that covers the entire days of the trip in the Schengen Area
11. Lacking to present a Proof of Accommodation
An additional factor that might lead for your visa to be refused is not being able to properly demonstrate you have a place to stay during your travel abroad. Such cases include:
- Not being able to present an evidence of a hotel reservation,
- Lacking to provide the invitation from the host (proof of sponsorship),
- Failing to present an evidence of a pre-paid tour.
12. Unfavorable Schengen Visa Situation
Such cases include:
- Failing to previously respect Schengen Visa limitations (i.e. Overstay in the one or more Schengen zones, failing to follow the presented travel itinerary – by skipping to stay mostly in the main country of destination in the Schengen Area, and so on).
- Holding a passport with an active Schengen Visa.